Customs Compliance Lead - Canada National
2999 James Snow Pkwy N Milton Milton, ON L9T 5G4
Are you looking for a new opportunity with a strong and stable company? Do you want the opportunity for excellence and advancement in your career? If so, Gordon Food Service could be the place for you.
As one of the largest privately held foodservice distributors in North America, our family business has a history of developing talented professionals, pursuing innovative ideas and building strong relationships.
We are seeking great people looking for professional and personal growth. If you are interested in joining an innovative, supportive, values-driven company, we invite you to consider a career with Gordon Food Service. Take a look at these videos to learn more about who we are and what we do!
Responsible for the administration and analysis of functions associated with the importation of goods by Gordon Food Service Canada. Key responsibility is performing preliminary review and risk assessment of all items offered for import, as well as management of post entry verification programs. The position will also oversee the Company’s strict adherence to a set of formal policies and procedures designed to ensure compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.
** This role is primarily remote with some travel required
What We Offer:
- FULL flex benefits program
- Company matching RRSP
- Family culture
- Advancement opportunities
- Profit Sharing
- Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and EFAP Benefits after 30 days of employment
- 125 year, family owned and operated company history
- Provide preliminary assessment and approval of all new items offered for import by Gordon Food Service Canada
- Identify items and areas of high compliance risk; consult and advise leadership for potential exposure
- Manage shared tariff bases of classifications, tariff rates, TT, origin, and other import data elements
- Maintain an internal reference library to assist decisions about tariff classification, valuation, preferential claims
- Maintain and promote the use of a manual of customs compliance policies and procedures
- Manage post entry verification programs, and oversee individual and blanket corrections of customs records
- Apply and maintain an SOP governing the working relationship with Canadian customs brokers
- Track accuracy of customs entries, as well as billing of brokerage, duty, and OGD fees.
- Serve as the liaison between AP, Cost, Finance, and customs compliance teams
- Support customs compliance projects such as CBSA compliance verifications, and refund claims
- Interpret new customs policies and regulations in order to establish new processes and procedures needed to ensure the
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- In-depth understanding of tariff classification principles (GIR)
- In-depth understanding of customs valuation methods and application of FTA specific rules of origin
- Ability to maintain and analyse large tariff bases of foreign vendors and imported items
- Knowledge and experience in filing individual and blanket corrections
- Experience with imports regulated by CFIA and GAC (primarily TRQ subject goods)
- Knowledge of importing and customs clearance process (US and Canada)
- Must have excellent written, verbal, organizational and communication skills as well as problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Results oriented with strong determination to succeed.
- Positive attitude with a commitment to learning and desire for personal and professional growth.
- Strong knowledge in Google applications, Microsoft Office, email and internet software applications
Experience and Education:
- Degree in Business Management or related field
- CCS or CTCS certification strongly preferred
- Minimum of four years experience in international trade work environment in companies with large import/export operations (US or Canada)
- In lieu of the specified education and experience requirements, a proven capability to perform the essential functions of the job, as demonstrated by an equivalent combination of education, training and/or relevant work experience may be considered
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer who strives to provide an inclusive work environment that involves everyone and embraces the diverse talent of its people.
All qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment, or in terms or conditions of employment, without regard to any enumerated or analogous grounds of discrimination, including race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status, sexual orientation or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Corporate FunctionsLearn More
We take care of each other at Gordon Food Service. Employees love our competitive benefit plans, which include all the things you would expect and a few that you might not!
Get a quick glance at who we are and the impact you could have on the food service industry. There's a seat at our table for you!
Working HereLearn More
Be part of an amazing culture where what matters to you, matters to us!
Gordon Food Service values our customers and understands that their success is largely dependent upon their workforce. To demonstrate our commitment to our partnership, we will require any candidate who works for a Gordon Food Service customer to provide a letter of support from their management if they are selected for the interview process.
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment, or in terms or conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please submit your request to email@example.com and use the words “Accommodation Request” in your subject line. Please keep in mind this method is reserved for individuals who require accommodation due to a disability.
All Gordon Food Service locations are tobacco-free.
Gordon Food Service is a drug-free workplace and drug tests all employees.